This course is part of the summer 2023 course programme. Registration is unfortunately no longer possible.
The programme for summer 2024 will be published online in April 2024.
Have you ever wondered how to know what notes to play/sing, or how to improvise within a song? Wished you could make your phrases sound more musical, or that you could successfully interact with bandmates when playing? Or would you like to learn how to communicate with your fellow musicians through your improvisation?
The summer course Developing Freedom in Music aims to give participants some crucial tools for developing skills in improvising. This course is aimed at musicians who want to further their improvisation skills. Both singers and instrumentalists are welcome!
What will we be doing?
For all genres, whether it be jazz, pop, rock or blues, we will look at:
- Finding the key
- Working out the chord progression by ear
- Knowing the ‘right’ notes
- Harmonic tricks including pentatonic scales and blues
- Building an improvisation off the melody
- How to tell a story through your improvisation
- How to interact, and give signals to, your fellow musicians
The approach will be practical and creative but also thorough and challenging. We will combine theory with playing to make sure you have ample opportunity to try things out. Most importantly, we’re going to have fun!