This course is aimed at musicians who want to further their improvisation skills! Both singers and instrumentalists are welcome!
Have you ever asked yourself:
How do I know what notes to play/sing?
How can I improvise/ad lib within a song?
How do I make my phrases sound more musical?
How can I successfully interact with my bandmates when playing?
How do I communicate with my fellow musicians through my improvisation?
The summer course ‘developing freedom in music’ aims to give participants some crucial tools for developing skills in improvising.
What will be doing?
For all genres, whether it be jazz, pop, rock or blues, we will look at:
- Finding the key
- Working out the chord progression by ear
- Knowing the ‘right’ notes
- Harmonic tricks including pentatonic scales and blues
- Building an improvisation off the melody
- How to tell a story through your improvisation
- How to interact, and give signals to, your fellow musicians
The approach will be practical and creative but also thorough and challenging. We’ll combine theory with playing to make sure you have ample opportunity to try things out. Most importantly, we’re going to have fun!