This course will cover complex rhythms and patterns and take your musical skills to the next level. With lots of variation in rhythms and variety of drums, the focus remains on playing fun and cooperation. Extensive breaks and solo phrases are covered and there is room for your own input. We also take a foray into a theatrical application of percussion. All kinds of drums and hand percussion (including darbuka, cajon, boomwhackers, rattles, bells and doundouns) are used. But especially the djembé, as it is the most popular!
Practising on a drum at home is essential (at least 15 minutes a day).
– High playing tempo
– Complex time signatures
– Extended breaks
– Syncopated and polyrhythms
– Solo phrases
– How to apply (e.g. accompany a ritual, a music combo or a theatre performance)
After the course:
– Are you able to recognise and reproduce rhythms
– Can you more easily join sessions, both percussion and pop/rock
– Have a better idea of how to apply your playing
– Can play solo phrases with more conviction